Dear Freiler Parents,
It’s hard to believe that we are nearing the time for our new testing system to be fully implemented with our students this year. Smarter Balance Testing Window begins February 25-May27th.
During the spring 2016 Smarter Balance Testing, all students will take on-line computer based tests in both content areas of English-language arts and mathematics. The testing window will open in late February, and districts/schools will be assigned a specific testing period. The teachers will be assigned a weekly schedule to go into the labs to take their tests. More information about the Smarter Balance test and testing system, as well as practice tests and the corresponding technology requirements, are available at: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sa/smarterbalanced.asp. Here is another parent resource that will help you understand the new standards: www.commoncoreworks.org/domain/114
January has welcomed back our students from vacation and they are acclimating themselves back into learning. Common Core Standards and our math adopted digital program are in full use on a daily basis preparing our students for the rigor of the SBAC test. Students are focusing on their academic goals as they prepare for the end of the 2nd trimester ending on February 12th. Performing well in class and on the state assessments helps students to build a strong academic foundation, which in turn determines the classes they take in high school and college. Parents, we are counting on your support to reinforce academics at home by asking your students to focus on their classwork, homework, and studying for the tests. You can support your students by doing the following:
1. Make sure students come to school daily on time. Attendance is extremely important.
2. Students complete homework daily.
3. Students read, practice math facts and practice math using IXL daily.
4. If your child needs help, please contact your child’s teacher.
5. If your child’s teacher asks your child to stay for extra help, please make sure your child stays. We have before and after open lab times for students use.
6. You may go to the California Department of Education’s website http://www.cde.ca.gov for more information regarding the state testing.
Safety is Our TOP Priority - Please do not use the first parking lot row as a drop off for your students. It blocks the view and ability of others who are properly using the parking stalls to drop off their students. Thank you.
Karen Alcorn, Principal