Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

At each of the comprehensive high schools in the Tracy Unified School District, Tracy High School and West High School, an After-School Independent Learning Program is offered.  This program is designed to allow students who have failed any high school English course to make up the credits in an independent learning environment.  Priority enrollment is given to 12th graders and 11th graders who are in need of these credits to graduate on time.  If space is available after upperclassmen have been enrolled, 10th graders may be enrolled in the program.

The program requires a mandatory minimum of 41 "seat hours"  plus successful completion of all of the required coursework.  This means that a student must be in the program for a minimum of 41 hours.  If the student needs additional hours to complete the coursework, he or she is allowed to remain in the program until the coursework is successfully completed, if the student is making a conscious effort toward completing the program.  A teacher is on site to assist the students if necessary, to monitor the students' progress, and to grade the coursework, but the students are required to work on their own, at their own pace, in an Independent Learning Environment.  All coursework is to be completed while the student is in the I.L.C. classroom.  Students are not allowed to take work home, nor is there any homework.

The program runs throughout the school year, beginning in early October, and is scheduled Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:15 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. daily.  Mandatory daily attendance is required.  THIS IS NOT A DROP-IN PROGRAM.  If a student is enrolled, but not meeting the attendance or behavior requirements, the student will be dropped from the program.

The English courses that are offered are: 

English 9 A and English 9 B

English 10 A and English 10 B

English 11 A and English 11 B

English 4 A

A counselor's recommendation is required to enroll in the program, and the enrollment process is handled through the counseling offices at each high school.